Sunday, September 16, 2012

Wings of the Dawn

Psalm 139: 9-10
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

Wings of the Dawn
I've risen on the wings of dawn
To where the sunrise casts its rays.
I've settled on a distant shore
Where days are nights and nights are days.
I've wandered through these winding streets,
A twisting, multicolored maze,
Where subtle tones drop from each tongue,
Yet here I rest within Your gaze.

I wrote this while hiking this afternoon. The one thing I have to say is most of it is far more literal than it sounds. If you want the full explanation, check out my comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Here's what it's referring to:
    Lines 1 and 2 - I don't know what the Psalmist meant by rising on the wings of the dawn, but I'm using it to refer to traveling (flying) to the Far East (where the sun rises).
    Line 3 - This should be pretty obvious.
    Line 4 - There is a 12-hour time difference between here and my home, so our day is night at home and vice versa.
    Lines 5 and 6 - Again, this should be obvious. Specifically, though, I was picturing a night market.
    Line 7 - This is a pun. Subtle tones could be sounds that are hard to understand. But they speak a tonal language here, and as a native speaker of a non-tonal language, I sometimes fail to notice the differences between the tones.
    Line 8 - The point of the Psalm is that no matter where you are, God knows what's happening and protects and guides you. I wanted to end on a similar note.

    ReplyDelete