Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Glimpse of Autumn


Taiwan is beautiful during the fall. The weather is neither too hot nor too cold. I am comfortable outside wearing short, long, or medium-length sleeves. It doesn't rain all the time like it does in the winter time. Even the humidity either disappears or just isn't obvious because the temperature isn't so extreme.

And yet New England is also beautiful in the fall. I miss the leaves that change into such a wide variety of colors. I miss walking through rows of apple trees and trying to find the perfect apples to put in my bag. I miss the smell of earthy smell of freshly fallen leaves. I miss the taste of a freshly picked apple and the thick sweetness of apple cider.

This poem is an ode to autumn in New England.

A Glimpse of Autumn

A leaf of gold is set in silver wood
A ruby blossoms on a maple tree.
A moment – then the forest is ablaze
Its colors blend in autumn harmony

A cloud of cotton crowns a gust of wind
Which plucks up leaves that playfully take flight
They pirouette as trees all laugh with joy
My heart joins in and dances with delight

A silhouette against the azure sky
A flock of geese toward warmer weather roam
Like them, my soul has journeyed long and far
In memory to touch my distant home

1 comment:

  1. My soul too has journeyed with longings of my distant home.

    Beautiful!

    Blessings to you dear sister.

    ReplyDelete